SCHOOL YEAR ABROAD
North Andover, MA
Director of Communications
School Year Abroad (SYA), 53 years strong, is a rigorous academic experience that places U.S. high school juniors and seniors for a year of study in one of its schools located in China, France, Spain and Italy, where they live with a host family. Using foreign language acquisition as the vehicle and another culture as the extension of the classroom, SYA helps secondary school students become broad-minded and well-educated citizens of the world. Our 7,500 alumni are globally-minded, thoughtful, committed to success, and have a deep attachment to their SYA experience.
Reporting to the Director of Advancement, the Director of Communications will develop and implement communications strategies to promote SYA’s image and visibility in an effort to communicate effectively while enhancing engagement with its community.
- Develop and implement a coordinated presence in digital and print media to both
promote SYA’s image and visibility and to drive engagement with its constituencies.
- Serve as the primary writer for print, digital and social media communications.
- Oversee SYA’s website working with a group of internal colleagues.
- Produce high quality and timely graphic design for a wide variety of print materials
ranging from an annual SYA magazine to smaller projects such as invitations and
- Manage the production of major publications working with outside vendors as needed.
- Create stewardship materials to educate, engage, inspire and thank top donors for their
- Collaborate effectively with members of the staff and other community members to elicit
and develop communication ideas.
- Develop and maintain an annual communications plan and calendar.
- Ensure brand identity and messaging quality and consistency throughout all
- Manage SYA’s crisis communication as appropriate.
- Manage SYA’s relationships with communications-related vendors, including graphic
designers, printing companies, and the website provider.
- Develop and oversee the department budget.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated expertise in effective communication to a variety of audiences through
print, websites and electronic media.
- Superb writing and editing skills.
- Experience producing high quality graphic design for print and electronic media
- The ability to work both collaboratively with a high functioning team and independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and experience managing multiple priorities and
- Understanding of Chicago Manual of Style writing practices.
- *Openness to continued learning and upgrading of skills.
- Experience using creative “out-of-the-box” thinking.
- Energetic and patient, with a sense of humor.
- Ability to sit for sustained periods of time working at a computer.
This is a full-time salaried position with excellent benefits. Interested candidates should send a
cover letter and resume to Debbie Andrews at firstname.lastname@example.org EOE