Publications Editor (Full-Time) NH Bar Association
VIEW ON NH BAR ASSOCIATION WEBSITE
Summary: The Publications Editor has overall responsibility for the editorial content of NHBA’s print and digital publications, including Bar News, eBulletin, special supplements, and member publications. This includes
- coordinating with NHBA staff and community stakeholders to produce relevant and engaging content,
- ensuring accuracy of the copy we publish, and
- on-time production within budget.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following.
In consultation with Director of Marketing, Communications, and Member Outreach, the Publications Editor
- Recommends publication standards and policies
- Plans, coordinates, and directs editorial activities
- Develop and manages an annual budget for Bar publications
- Exercises creativity and initiative in the editorial direction of the NHBA publications
- Researches and proposes ideas for new information vehicles, such as podcasts
- Conducts reader surveys as appropriate; analyzes results
Independently, the Publications Editor
- Confers with executives, department heads, members and community-stakeholders as needed and appropriate to coordinate publication activities, establish production schedules, solve problems
- Generates story ideas, develops, researches, outsources or writes and edits original articles and features
- Solicit content/evaluate material submitted for publication consideration
- Recruits and retains freelance contributors
- Oversees editorial advisory board
- Keeps abreast of and analyzes the impact of issues important to NHBA members
- Provides editorial guidance to staff and works with them to craft effective content for publication.
- Directs Communications Coordinator and/or Editorial and Marketing Coordinator in content and production of weekly e-Bulletin
In collaboration with the Sales and Technical Editor, the Publications Editor
- Develops annual editorial calendar and sets deadlines
- Keeps publications fresh and valuable to members
- Helps generate ad and sponsorship revenue, sponsored advertorial content
- Monitors publication policies, organization, workflow and procedures to ensure high-quality, cost-effective production and distribution of NHBA publications.
- Maintains day-to-day activities in support of publication development and production
- Works with artists, photographers, and stock houses to produce pictures and illustrations in support of publications.
- Supervises the work of freelancers – edits, proofs, and fact-checks submissions. Responsible for overall quality of freelance work.
- Manages editorial contributions from members (excepting the recruiting of Practice Area articles, which is handled by the Sales & Technical Editor)
- Reviews final proofs and approve or makes changes to ensure quality and consistency of Bar publications.
Work with Outside Organizations and Vendors/Community Presences:
- Works closely with external partners to provide coverage and support of initiatives in the Bar and legal community that impact members.
- Attends or coordinates with staff/freelancers to cover important industry events, meetings or awards ceremonies to obtain items for publication.
Prepares news or public relations releases, special brochures, and similar materials as needed and assigned by Director of Marketing, Communications, and Member Outreach.