Associate Director of Communications; Our Neighbors’ Table
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO APPLY:
Reports to: Executive Director
Schedule: 40 hours/week, at least 60% of time to be spent on-site and/or in the community.
Compensation: salary, commensurate with experience
About Our Neighbors’ Table
For 31 years, individuals, businesses and institutions have invested in Our Neighbors’ Table (ONT) as the leader in driving universal food access across the region. ONT harnesses that commitment to turn food assistance on its head by providing flexible, personalized programs. We’ve eliminated the traditional approach of strict schedules, cumbersome qualification and limited food selection by offering dignified experiences and access to fresh, wholesome food when and where people throughout northeastern Essex County need it.
Our Neighbors’ Table’s unique, flexible approach to food assistance has enabled us to declare Amesbury a food secure city and is the only organization poised to implement a near-term strategy to make Northeastern Essex County a food secure region. Our work has inspired and informed regional, state- and nationwide changes to put the dignity of those experiencing food insecurity at the forefront of programming.
About ONT’s Communications Strategy
Community Engagement is a core pillar of ONT’s model to build food secure communities. From mass communications to the general public to donor stewardship newsletters to program brochures guiding people experiencing food insecurity, what, how and when we communicate with our community drives our success in mobilizing people to take action against food insecurity.
ONT has a broad constituency and is seeking an energetic, creative, and passionate communicator who can shape and execute our communications strategy. The Associate Director of Community Relations reports to the Executive Director and supports all departments of the organization in their community and constituent engagement activities.
About the Work of the Associate Director of Communications
- PR/Media relations. Advises leadership on the development of communication policies and significant matters of marketing and public relations. Responds to questions and requests from media, the public, and the community, including for critical and sensitive matters and provides coaching to ONT team members and ambassadors in public speaking.
- Participates in the design of major milestone events to engage clients, volunteers, donors, and prospects; works with events- and programs staff to operationalize and produce appropriate materials.
- Outreach/community engagement. Initiates positive and proactive relationships with both internal and external constituents, including the outreach and engagement strategy; serves as centralized creation and editing for all content and creative work produced across the organization
- Manages the creation of ONT’s annual report, website, brochures, email marketing program, and social media strategy in a way that advances key messages, communicates impact, and helps grow ONT’s brand. Works with staff, volunteers, guests, partners and Board to develop stories and publications worthy of distribution through local, state and national media.
- Knowledge/policy/branding. Maintains comprehensive knowledge of techniques and best practices for maintaining ONT’s communications products and infrastructure; problem solves as needed.
About Your Experience & Qualifications:
- 2+ years relevant professional experience, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, design, public relations, or related field, with a focus on non-profit, health care, education, community relations, or public relations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate to a variety of audiences, talking directly with supporters to tell real stories of how ONT has made people’s lives better and development of client stories and testimonials
- Pro-active work style; strategic thinking, flexible collaboration, and strong decision-making and project management skills.
- Spanish or Portuguese-speaking and writing and experience communicating to audiences in multiple languages is a plus!
- Deep commitment to nonprofit and community engagement work as well as issues of DEIJ (diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice) in the community and in the workplace.
- Print and digital marketing, writing, design, [production, and/or project management platform experience, such as HubSpot, HootSuite, Meta Business Suite, Canva, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and/or WordPress.
Initial interview with Director of HR
Writing Sample review
Hiring Manager interview